Monday, September 25, 2006

Java Studio Creator on dyne:bolic (Intel EM64T processor)

Dyne:bolic is a Linux based completely free OS that has been optimzed for media editing and production. As media editing is one of my hobbies, I chanced upon it (I guess thru Stumble) and now its the third OS on my comp. Guess this should suffice for an introduction...

Coming to the point, I read on its site that a toned down version of GUI environment (was pretty amazed at first, considering it was meant for producing graphics!) was provided so that the application can get a huge chunk of processor instead of the normal GUI environment hogging the processor and RAM. Considering this architecture, isn't it the best thing to run various development environments?? I ran Java Studio Creator on it and had an excellent experience. It was notably faster than my previous experiences (ubuntu i586 comes second, kubuntu amd64, WinXP, all on 512 MB DDR2 RAM, Intel 630 3.00 Ghz, Intel 915GEV motherboard). I could not test it fully coz installing modules (what packages are refered to in it dyne:bolic) is not a child's play. Sun JSC installed but quit once the installation of server commenced, coz some libs were missing... So I tested whatever I had on my hands - i.e. SJSC update 1 with a very light load (a prj with just 3 pages), without any DB support or a server running...

The good part about this combo is- if u've already installed it on some other OS (Linux) on your machine, u dont need to install it for dyne. Just run the creator script in <SJSC's installation directory>/bin and it would run for u. Haven't gone any further in this direction coz I have already tried quite a lot of of combos and need to get back to my project...

This was in response to some posts on Sun's forum which said SJSC ran best on Ubuntu. Yeah its good on it, but its better on dyne:bolic. (testing on the two was done on same load/project)

- Dev | September 25, 2006

No comments: